Work Package 1: SETTING THE SCENE: Labelling approaches and Key Performance Indicators
To establish the baseline for the LCE4ROADS methodology development for greener, cost-effective, safer and resilient to climate change road products and infrastructure. This includes the following tasks:
- To evaluate current labelling approaches applied to road design, construction, maintenance and rehabilitation, as well as the products used to build them
- To evaluate related regulations, standards and constraints for the implementation of road products and infrastructures labelling throughout EU.
- To define, select and develop suitable KPIs for road infrastructures to cover environmental, technical, social and economic, aspects and other new challenges like resilience to climate change and the progressive implementation of freight corridors and promising technologies such as: energy harvesting, greener drainage systems, advanced road route design etc.
- To define, select and develop suitable and specific LCE KPIs for asphalt mixtures including Warm Mix Asphalt (WMA) and cement-based products such as structural concrete for pavements, bridges and tunnels and soil cement.
- Benchmarking theoretical exercise to assess current types of infrastructure by applying the set of proposed and selected indicators
- To define implementation strategies for the outcomes of the project to minimize the main blocking factors identified for the advanced EU Ecolabel
Work Package Leader: